Monday, February 9, 2015

Controlling Public Space


One of the readings we were assigned this week that I found particularly interesting was the piece written by Robert Rosenberger called, "How Cities Use Design to Drive Homeless People Away." I have definitely seen these types of designs such as the ground spikes that were shown in the article when I have been in New York. I never really thought much of them until reading more about it and seeing how many people were passionate about abolishing these spikes that were designed to prevent homeless people from sleeping or sitting. I'd have to say that if I were proposed to sign this petition to remove the ground spikes, I would absolutely be on board with the 130,000 people that signed the petition. I find it pretty disgusting that someone or a group of people thought it was necessary to create these spikes to keep homeless people away. I definitely understand that people like to keep their neighborhoods nice and when you are walking in a city and see homeless people it is not always pleasing because it can be upsetting, but that does not give you the right to dictate where they can or cannot take some form of shelter. I think people should be spending their time and money on finding homeless people actual homes as opposed to spending their time and money on projects like making benches purposefully uncomfortable. I think it just a really crass, inhumane and uncompassionate way to be spending your money. If these people, instead decided to help homeless people find shelter and help them off the streets they could be making a better living environment for everyone. The world needs to remember that homeless people are humans too, they are not garbage, and they do not deserve to be treated as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment