Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Hardware Hackers & Open Data Movements


For this week I really appreciated Beth Noveck’s Ted talk on why the government should be more open sourced. I really like the whole open source movement. When I think of open source I think of Wikipedia and how anyone can add to a topic that they think they know about. Obviously there are Wikipedia editors that monitor this and make sure it’s relevant, correct information, otherwise it could be seen as a joke. I think that Wikipedia gets a bad rap for not being a reliable source of information because of their open source policy but I think that just ridiculous. We all have voices and brains that matter. And I think it would be a great thing if the government were more open source. We are the people that are affected by the laws that the government establishes so why shouldn’t we have a say in how they are created. I have also been learning a lot about open source in my 3d printing class. It’s a cool thing that people can create, share, alter, and remix these codes to make something unique. Why not add this idea to the government that controls what we do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment